Okay, so this is my second blog post ever in my life. So what better time to start criticizing other people's work than right now? In the spirit of being a critical reader, I have looked through seemingly endless blogs from various companies and now I am ready to judge.

The first site is one that I really fell in love with. It's called
"The Whole Story". The blog belongs to "Whole Foods Market" and is a great collection of seasonally appropriate and creative food ideas. My big New Year's resolution this year is to eat better and cook more at home. This has proven difficult not just because of my already hectic schedule but also because I spent most of my 20s eating out of a Marine Corps chow hall rather than nurturing my gourmet chef within. I particularly like the food guides under the recipes tab. It lists general ingredients and gives recipe ideas for a particular food item. Ever look at a vegetable at the store and had just no idea how you would possibly turn that into food? I have, maybe it's time to live a little. The site itself is also fittingly simple; its uncluttered appearance gives off a small farmer's market comfortable feeling that makes you feel a little healthier just by visiting.

The next one that I found particularly interesting belongs to the internet mogul Google. Google's
"Official Blog" is a mix of techie news from around the world. It may not be quite as useful as the previous blog in terms of personal gain however, I've already found myself engrossed and unable to quit reading about the exciting work that Google is doing around the world. I found their work at the Grand Canyon of particular interest. Mapping the Grand Canyon trails step by step may not seem like a useful advance for a corporate giant, but I work in a hospital where I frequently see patients that have been confined to their bed for years and some since childhood due to their health. I can imagine that it would be exciting for someone like that to be able to escape the hospital walls and see the world in a new way. I find it refreshing to see a huge corporation do something that improves the human experience rather than their own bottom line. The site itself is visually bland but the content is stunning.

In my quest through this new world of blogging (new to me) I've had a difficult time finding a site that I didn't like or at least learn a little bit from so I took a tip from "Time Magazine's" site and visited a blog from their list of "blogs that they could do without" and low and behold I came across the
TSA blog. Given the nature of the TSA's work I found it a little awkward that their site took a shot at putting a little bit of humor into the subject of air travel. It seemed a little awkward and over all I would say the content of the site serves no real purpose. I hate to be critical of someone's hard work but that's what this is all about, right?
Interesting blogs you reviewed: well organized, thoughtful, and thorough.
ReplyDelete